It is. The PDF is just the instructions given below, so if you are concerned, just print the original email for your records.
When I receive emails with attachments, asking me to click links, I am inherently suspicious. I believe the email below is legit, but would like some public discussion to verify its legitimacy.
Thanks and 73, Joe kk0sd
From: Matthew Alberti <[email protected] mailto:[email protected] > Sent: Monday, December 7, 2020 5:38 AM To: [email protected] mailto:[email protected] Subject: [AMSAT-BB] Mail Server Upgrade - Please Read
AMSAT Community, Please see below regarding the recent upgrade of the email system.
AMSAT-NA Mailman Upgrades
AMSAT’s IT team has been working to upgrade the Mailman software that supports mailing lists (aka reflectors, listserv, BB, etc). This upgrade became necessary for several reasons, one of which was the release of a new major revision of the Mailman software itself. The new version of Mailman has many improvements, including: an updated web UI, management of all list memberships with a single account, and a web UI for searching and browsing archives.
The upgrade requires existing mail list users to sign up for a “new” account, which will be used to manage their existing list subscriptions and preferences. This will also require everyone to validate their preferences, aliases (if any), etc. Most existing preferences from the previous version of Mailman did not migrate. Please see the procedures below. Please contact [email protected] mailto:[email protected] with any questions or concerns regarding this upgrade.
Procedures to Signup for New Mailman List Service
• Visit https://mailman.amsat.org
• Click “Signup” in the top right corner.
• Fill out the form. For username, it is recommended that you use your e-mail address.
• You will receive a confirmation e-mail. Click the link in the e-mail, and then click the “Confirm” button.
• Login with your new AMSAT-NA Mailman account.
• Navigate to the User Profile/Settings area by clicking the dropdown at the top right, and selecting “Account” – or Click Here.
• Fill in your First Name, Last Name, time zone and click the “Update” button.
• If you have alternate e-mail addresses you use to subscribe to lists, they can be added using the “E-mail Addresses” tab.
Notable Changes from Previous Version of Mailman
• A single account is used to manage your subscription and preferences (and list settings if you are a list owner). Delivery preferences, account updates, and subscription changes can all be made for any list you are a member of, with a single account.
• All archives are now searchable in a web-based interface. See https://mailman.amsat.org/hyperkitty or click the Archives link at the top of the site.
• All e-mails from the Mailman system are encrypted in transit.
• The mail server itself has an updated SPAM detection infrastructure, and improved validation of inbound and outbound messages. This should result in more reliable SPAM detection, and also improved “whitelisting” of legitimate AMSAT-NA e-mails.