An International Space Station school contact has been planned with participants at Riversink Elementary School, Crawfordville, FL on 26 Feb. The event is scheduled to begin at approximately 15:16 UTC. The duration of the contact is approximately 9 minutes and 30 seconds. The contact will be direct between NA1SS and K4WAK. The contact should be audible over the southeastern U.S. and adjacent areas. Interested parties are invited to listen in on the 145.80 MHz downlink. The contact is expected to be conducted in English.
Riversink Elementary School is a K-5 public school operating within the Wakulla County School District. It is a Title I school located in rural Crawfordville, Florida. Riversink first opened its doors in August of 2008. Teachers at Riversink believe that every student will reach his or her highest potential in a positive learning environment that encourages students to be respectful, responsible, and ready to learn. Students at Riversink are highly successful due, in part, to the collaborative efforts of the faculty and staff, along with strong parental support. The student body is made up of 470 students. The school has 37 teachers. Riversink's mission is to facilitate the development of all students to their fullest potential by providing research-based instructional strategies and promoting a love of learning and community pride in a safe, positive environment.
The following questions will be answered as time permits:
1. When you come back to Earth after being on the ISS, are you able to walk
or does it take time to get used to it?
2. Are there laws in space?
3. Other than floating, how is living in space different than living on the
4. How far have you traveled around the earth?
5. How do you get to be an astronaut?
6. What can you do in your free time on the space station?
7. How do you sleep in space?
8. How long does it take to get to the ISS?
9. How do you power the ISS?
10. Has the space station ever been hit or almost hit by anything?
11. What happens if you get sick in space?
12. When you sweat on the space station, does it stick to your body or does
it float away?
13. What has been the most memorable moment you've had as an astronaut?
14. What time zone do you use in space?
15. What kind of work are you doing on the space station?
16. What is it like to exercise on the space station?
17. How do you eat in space?
18. How does the space station move?
19. What do you miss the most about being on Earth?
20. What belongings can you take with you to the space station?
21. What kinds of experiments are you working on?
22. When you grow plants in space, how do you water them?
23. How do you communicate with your family?
24. How does it feel to be the first Italian woman in space?
PLEASE CHECK THE FOLLOWING FOR MORE INFORMATION ON ARISS UPDATES:
Sign up for the SAREX maillist at
Visit ARISS on Facebook. We can be found at Amateur Radio on the
International Space Station (ARISS).
To receive our Twitter updates, follow @ARISS_status
Next planned event(s):
1. G. Salvemini - G. La Pira, Montemurlo, Italy, direct via IQ5VR and
"Dante Alighieri" 1st Grade Secondary (Middle) School, Casale
Monferrato, Italy, direct via IK1SLD
The ISS callsign is presently scheduled to be IRØISS
The scheduled astronaut is Samantha Cristoforetti IZØUDF
Contact is a go for: Sat, 07Mar2015, 10:51 UTC
ARISS is an international educational outreach program partnering the volunteer support and leadership from AMSAT and IARU societies around the world with the ISS space agencies partners: NASA, Russian Space Agency, ESA, CNES, JAXA, and CSA.
ARISS offers an opportunity for students to experience the excitement of Amateur Radio by talking directly with crewmembers on-board the International Space Station. Teachers, parents and communities see, first hand, how Amateur Radio and crewmembers on ISS can energize youngsters' interest in science, technology, and learning. Further information on the ARISS program is available on the website http://www.ariss.org/
Thank you & 73,
David - AA4KN
--- This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software. http://www.avast.com