I haven't heard of failures of the controller or software directly, but
this could happen. A more common problem might be mis-calibration, in that
if your elevation rotor reads only 175 degrees and your software and
controller is trying to send it to 180 degrees, the thing will keep going
until it shuts off at the limit switches in the rotor itself (G5500). I've
seen this before, no problem since the limit switches are fairly robust,
but something to keep an eye on.
I plan to use the thermal cut-outs for the extra protection as soon as I
get a repaired / replacement motor to work with.
Yesterday I built a jig for bench testing the rotor. Cables and connectors
are still on the mast, so I needed a way to connect the 7-pin connector to
the controller manually, also to a scope to verify alignment of the 500-ohm
pot sensor. Made jig from 6 individual connectors through clear
plexiglass, broken out to six terminals on side. That will help with
alignment during reassembly.
Also spent some time figuring out how the brake goes together - seems I
didn't manage to get photos of it as I took it off of the motor before
shipping it out, and just yesterday noticed the spring in there and puzzled
over how the heck it works. Think I have it figured out, though.
On Feb 26, 2012 4:24 AM, "Clive Wallis" <list1(a)g3cwv.co.uk> wrote: